Shockey Family

Shockey Family
October 2012

Thursday, January 17, 2013

To Pogo or not to Pogo that is the question.....

A couple of months before Christmas my 3 year old son tells me when I ask what he wants for Christmas plain as day "a pogo stick mommy!!".  Now my first thought is he is way too young for a pogo stick and he could get hurt now way.  Then my mind went to another place....where and why does he want a pogo stick?  How does he even know what a pogo stick is? 

So I asked him, "honey why do you want a pogo stick?"  My sweet baby boy replied "I want a pogo stick just like Dora mommy!"  So there it is Dora is the culprit.  Dora what she is too young for a pogo stick too!!! 

The naive mom that I am I thought he would forget about it.  To my dismay he didn't right up to the bitter end every time we asked what he wanted for Christmas or what he wanted Santa to bring him he said "a pogo stick".  I even tried to get him to pick a couple of things so I could get the other one and nope it was a pogo stick only a pogo stick. 

Now when it came right down to it I was in a major dilemma.  Do I stick to my guns....no way it is too dangerous he is too young or do I give in and get the one and only thing he is asking for for Christmas.  In the back of my mind I have all of those Christmas movies playing in the back of my head with people saying I want such in such for Christmas and I didn't get it and it ruined my Christmas.  Now I know that that is a little dramatic for a 3 year old but I couldn't help myself. 

Still undecided we took the boys to see Santa on Dec. 23rd.  He walked right up to him and didn't even say hi.  He said "Santa do you have any pogo sticks?"  That's when I knew I needed to try to find one.  So after a couple of stores we found one on sale no less.  We also purchased wrist, elbow and shin guards to go with it.  Uncle Rock made the suggestion that we also get a mouth guard.  OK we are set now all we have to do is wrap him in bubble wrap and he can have his pogo stick. 

Well here it was Christmas morning and Leyton is opening his Santa presents and all I can think the whole time is "stupid Dora!!!"  He was so so excited though and that warmed my heart a bit to the pogo stick.  We got him all suited up and ready to go.  Went outside and he was pogo boy for about 5 min and hasn't touched it since or asked to pogo again.  It was a great laugh for us all and he was so happy.  So I don't really know what the moral of this story is but I do know 3 things. 
1. Dora is banned in my house.
2. Don't wait until Dec. 23rd to get what your kid really wants they don't forget.
3. There is nothing better than a little boys smile on Christmas morning when he gets what he really wanted!!!!  

Fitting the mouth guard.

Ready to go....Dad vetoed the bubble wrap.

And off he goes!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment